My Oz....

This is where Wonderland and the land of Oz meet and play and create! Come join in the fun!

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Just a Piece of Wood


My Daddy loved working with wood  building things.  The last things he made were for me, a bunch of frames for canvases and some shadow boxes. I was walking around the yard and saw a left over 2 x 4 he had cut off while building something and I picked it up and went into the house and started on it.  A lot of tears along with the paint but it so connected me to him.



My son had bought me a couple of magazines right before we lost Daddy and this lovely idea was in there.  The whole project really takes shape around the shape of the bottle.  So a metal piece from my late husband's tool box made the hanger for the bottle which I covered with mica flakes. The droplets are Pebeo Moon and Fantasy paints (first time I tried them so a learning curve here) and I used a Dylusions stencil with Faber Castille Bead Paste then colored the base of gesso with Gelatos and colored the beads when dry.  The sentiment and die cut is from Tim Holtz's set.

We look forward to seeing your inspiring work this month at Rhedd's Creative Spirit and hope you turn something not so pretty into a lovely memory worth hanging up and looking at everyday!

9 comments:

  1. I can relate to you on this project Nan, my father was a carpenter and I was always in his workshop as a child, love,love the smell of real wood..whenever I smell it it brings back so many memories...I am sure this lovely piece will evoke similair memories for you each time you look at it...hugs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Janette, those smells will always bring a smile to my face. He even made me some canvases a couple of months before he passed. He was my awesome buddy xx

      Delete
  2. What a lovely idea bringing you closer to him - gorgeous too x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely Nan, and a super way to remember him! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sammy, it brought tears now but I will be able to look at it one day with smiles xx

      Delete
  4. A lovely creation. Your father was obviously a crafter so it's nice that you can incorporate things that he's left in your own crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful, thank you for sharing it with us at Altered Eclectics.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete